Saturday, April 4, 2009

Go... Oilers?

It seems at least a couple times every year I find myself in a tough predicament. Although I have my loyalty as a Flames fan, every now and then the Flames are able to benefit with a win by their most hated rivals. No time more important than tonight.

With the 9th place, 36-33-9 Oilers taking on the surging 3rd place 42-25-10 Canucks, the Flames have never needed the provincial rivals so badly. An Edmonton win tonight puts the Flames right back into the Northwest Division lead and takes away Vancouver's game in hand, placing the Flames' playoff destiny squarely in their own hands with four games remaining.

A Vancouver win, on the other hand, means the Canucks face a fairly easy road to the division title. With games remaining only against the 15th place Avalanche (twice), the 14th place Kings, and the Flames, these extra two points could be what separates Calgary and Vancouver by mid-April.

Which brings me back to my predicament... I can't stand the Oilers, I spend all season laughing at their every downfall. Through text messaging owners and poorly advised stick measurements, I truly love to see these guys fail. Now I'm cheering for them in a game that will keep their dim playoff hopes alive, and I'm not sure how to feel about this. But the enemy of my enemy is my friend, so Go Oilers!

...at least tonight, let's hope Mac T's bunch of bumbling idiots return for the home and home series April 10th and 11th.


SP

No comments:

Post a Comment